The Rock River Valley Blood Center has extended hours at its Rockford donor center locations for the last two Saturdays in December and first Saturday in January to accommodate increased demand for blood during the holiday season. The blood center will also give each donor who donates between Saturday, Dec. 21, and Saturday, Jan. 4, a free shirt as a token of appreciation for taking time out of their busy schedule to save a life.
The Downtown Donor Center, 419 N. Sixth St., and the Perryville Donor Center, 3065 N. Perryville Road, will stay open an extra two hours on Saturday, Dec. 21, Dec. 28 and Jan.4. The hours will be:
- Downtown Donor Center: 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Perryville Donor Center: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
All blood center locations will be closed on Christmas and New Year’s Day to allow staff and donors time to be with their family and friends during the holiday. They will be open on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve with adjusted hours:
- Downtown Donor Center: Christmas Eve, 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and New Year’s Eve, 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Perryville Donor Center: Christmas Eve, 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and New Year’s Eve, 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Belvidere Donor Center (1740 S. State St.): Christmas Eve, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and New Year’s Eve, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Freeport Donor Center (461 E. South St.): Christmas Eve, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and New Year’s Eve, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Give the gift that lasts a lifetime this holiday season. Donating blood is safe, simple and one unit can save up to three lives. Remember the need for blood never takes a holiday!
If you’re a first-time donor, please bring a photo ID. Individuals can donate a single unit (whole blood donation, the most common type) every 56 days.